Today I want to reiterate the top five reasons for installing a green roof in Florida.
There are actually many advantages to having a vegetated roof and living walls here in the southern portion of the U.S.
However, understanding the main benefits from volumetric green helps in the justification process. In today's economy cost-effectiveness is important, both short-term and long-term.
After working with green roofs here in Florida for years, these are the top five reasons I would recommend to anyone for installing a:
1. lightweight, extensive (less than 4" deep - preferably 2-3" deep),
2. non-irrigated (hey - we have a water crisis in Florida - and you WILL have to have backup potable water if you rely on rainwater cisterns to irrigate a roof),
3. cost-effective green roof
1. Protects underlying roof, extending the life of your underlying roof by decades.
2. Provides significant insulation (the difference is between 40 degrees F and 60 degrees F),
3. Cleans stormwater - especially for those designed to not require fertilization,
4. Creates wildlife habitat and in-turn an IPMS - an Integrated Pest Management System - the lizards and anoles you attract will eat pest insects such as termites, ants, roaches and flies.
5. Cleans stormwater and creates a Sense of Place (beauty).
Other very important reasons include;
1. Sequestering and lowering Carbon Footprint,
2. Uptake of CO2
3. Production of O2
4. Reduction of Heat Island Effect
5. Reduction of Stormwater Runoff volume (in addition to water quality),
6. Increased pedestrian traffic for retail areas,
7. and more (i.e. Green Building Cert Points).
So you see there are many reasons to build a green roof.
What are you waiting for?
For help with system selection and design, please send us an email today!
Happy Green Roofing!