|Native plant Bioswale, Lasalle St., Jacksonville, Third Spring's Growth|
Today the array of native plants installed by a marvelous group of volunteers has grown into their own prime, lovely Florida grasses, native shrubs and the wonderful cypress tree, Taxodium spp.
|The Native Plant Bioswale was originally planted in late 2011|
|The Bioswale has matured into a prime example of a successful low-impact development project|
We think of plants on green roofs providing many benefits, including;
- Sequestration of Carbon and mitigation of CO2 greenhouse gasses
- Positive production of fresh oxygen daily
- Cleaning rainfall runoff by filtering out particulate matter and attenuating flow rates
- Uptake and sequestration of nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorous
- Habita creation for small to large wildlife and birds
- Beauty for us humans
- Urban Heat Island Effect mitigation - cooling of the cities
- Keeping our creeks, lakes and rivers clean
- and so much more
Bioswales provide the same benefits as green roofs. Bioswales are like a green roof but are located directly on the ground instead of a rooftop.
|Bioswales, like Florida Green Roofs provide an array of ecological and environmental benefits|
Plants are so amazing, especially Florida native plant species. They work 24/7 to help keep our world clean and that is just the start of what they really do for us!
|Lasalle Street Native Plant Bioswale's Third Year Growth|