Saturday, February 19, 2022

Organic Florida Hemp Cultivation, Identifying Crop Pests with UV Light

Evolution has equipped many insects with a sublime ability to camouflage themselves. 
Pest Insects may remain hidden under most light wavelengths as shown here on a greenhouse lemon balm plant.

Insects may stay hidden under daylight wavelengths too.
Evolution has equipped many insects with effective camouflage appearances


Interestingly and importantly for the grower, ultraviolet lights used at night that produce illumination in the wave range between 300nm and 400 nm can often illuminate otherwise camouflaged pest insects.

UVb light can assist in identifying the presence of crop pests


Pest reconnaissance of crops in cultivation areas including those in row plantings and in the greenhouses can be conducted at night often with successful results for insect identification efforts.

Insects, plant damage, and even chlorophyll containing algae and cyanobacteria can be identified at night by examining plant stems, leaves and flowers using UVa and UVb lights. Many insects react to UV light through florescence of phosphors in their exoskeletons. Chlorophyll on the other hand under UVb absorbs all light waves except for 'red' wavelengths which are reflected back.  Algae growing across cultivation areas can easily be identified using UVb light.

Not all insects that glow under UV light are considered pests.  Potentially beneficial organisms such as stick insects, millipedes and even anoles can be easily spotted using UVa and UVb flashlights.

My personal favorite light for night insect surveillance are lithium rechargable, well built LED units with UVb filters.

Though the grower may not spot all pest insects on their greenhouse or row crop plants, chances are any key pest infestation can be quickly identified.



22 comments:

Irwin Kempton said...

Great post! Thank you so much. I really need these tips. The detailed explanation is really helpful. Seeing how you write was very inspiring.
-Delta 8 Gummies Bulk

Roben Zeigler said...

This is a fantastic article. It has been quite beneficial to me. Thank you for sharing such an excellent and useful site. Best CBD Store

James William said...

You performed a fantastic job! This is a fantastic article. This is quite appealing to me. It is quite helpful to my research. It's evident that you're passionate about the subject. I'm hoping you'll give me more information about the software. Please keep spreading the word.
Maui Wowie Cart

Mr Elijah said...

Thank you so much for your post; it gave us an excellent idea.
CBD Hand Cream UK.
+44 20 3319 2539.

Mr Elijah said...


You've given us a great idea, so thank you very much for your post.
Best Scissors For Trimming Bud

Jeff Andersen said...

I adore your work, and it greatly motivates me.
Pure CBD Seeds

Ghenz Hawks said...

Amazing post, thanks for sharing this article. I am truly motivated by you for blogging.
Thank You!Terpene Diluent

James William said...

I had been hunting for a post this educational for a few days, and it looks like I've found it here. Outstanding effort. Continue posting
CBD Ointment Broad Spectrum

Alex Carter said...

Thank you for providing us with this crucial information. This is incredible.
CBD White Label

Mr Elijah said...

This is an excellent article. Your essay is very easy to understand.
Delta 8 THCP Distillate.

Trent Alexander said...

It's critical to highlight how enticing and well-maintained this content is. I value your time and work, so please don't stop sharing information.5000mg CBD Tincture

Martin Morris said...

Wonderful website This blog is fantastic, and I just recently found it. Although the vocabulary on this blog is excellent, what matters most is its simplicity and clarity. This blog is fantastic, and I just recently found it. The writing on this site is most important for its clarity and simplicity.
Delta 9 THCP

Tom Latham said...

I really appreciate what you're doing, my friend; it's fantastic.
Full Spectrum CBD Tincture

Toni Muller said...

You impart knowledge in a unique method from other people. I appreciate you sharing this original article so much. I must thank you so that you can continue to write interesting stuff for us. 5000mg CBD Tincture

Sarah Lehmann said...

Excellent website This is a blog I've never seen before, and I really like it. The most important aspect is that the content on this site is presented in a way that is both understandable and clear. CBD Recovery Cream

bagsfactory said...

You've given us a great idea, so thank you very much for your post.
custom cooler bags wholesalers

Sarah Lehmann said...

It's crucial to stress how interesting and high-quality this stuff is. Please keep me updated, because I value the time and effort you are putting into this. Wholesale CBD Oil For Pets

Sarah Lehmann said...

Wonderful website This is the first time I've seen this blog, and I really like it. The most important thing is that the information on this blog is written in a way that is clear and easy to understand. CBD Sports Tincture

Toni Muller said...

We greatly like your essay because it gave us some great ideas. CBD Gummies 750mg

Raymond Goodwil said...

Please keep writing this type of article posts; I like it.
Raymond Goodwill |Wholesale CBG Distillate

James Daniel said...

I've been on the lookout for an informative post like this for several days, and it seems I've finally stumbled upon it here. Exceptional work. Keep up the great content!

James Daniel | cannabis business email marketing

George Alexander said...

It's important to emphasize how engaging and top-notch this content is. Please continue to keep me informed because I truly appreciate the time and effort you're investing in this.

George Alexander | online homeschool programs