Thursday, March 10, 2022

Earwigs (Dermaptera) and Florida Organic Hemp Cultivation

Are earwigs friend or foe in the hemp cultivation area?
Florida Organic Hemp Pest Management, Earwigs belong to the insect order Dermaptera

The answer may be both!  Earwigs can be a friend but also a foe to the organic hemp farmer and crop.

Florida Organic Hemp Pest Management, Earwigs have 'pinchers' also called 'cerci' attached to the rear of their abdomen
Earwigs are omnivores, and they are usually hungry.  From my observations across Arendell Hill Nursery, earwigs prefer aphids and other small insects.

However earwigs will also eat young, tender plant shoots, buds and leaves if there are not enough aphids, mites, insect eggs or small prey to satisfy their voracious appetites.

There are a number of earwig species and importantly, many are primarily carnivores.  The earwig preference for pest insects can be beneficial to the hemp farmer and as long as there are adequate numbers of small insects for forage. 

The key to integrating Dermaptera successfully into an organic hemp integrated pest management program lies in developing an understanding of earwig life cycle requirements.  The hemp farmer should know what environmental conditions favor earwig population growth. 

Once the hemp farmer recognizes favorable earwig growth conditions, the grower can adjust many of those factors to maintain earwig population stability, effectively avoiding population explosions while ensuring an adequate number of earwigs exist to help manage aphid issues.

Interestingly, the insect's common name 'earwig' is rumored to have been derived from a fear this bug could crawl into a sleeping person's ear at night resulting in all sorts of painful pinching.  This rumor is unfounded though and earwigs generally do not bite or pinch humans.

So are earwigs desirable as an integrated pest control partner for hemp cultivation?  I'd have to say a definitive yes.  

As with all partnerships, successful relationships require active management of interactions and the same holds true with earwigs.  An overpopulation of earwigs with not enough aphids for food will result in hemp plant bud and new growth damage as the earwigs seek out alternative food sources.

Earwig population numbers can be managed with straight forward mechanical and environmental pest control measures such as moisture control, good housekeeping and sanitary practices and regular surveillance.

The key is to have just enough earwig pest control partners.

Smart hemp cultivation site pest management can employ earwigs to hunt down and eat pesky aphids and mites.  

Employing native insects and native plants as partners in organic farming can be the safest, most effective and sustainable growing approach for Florida hemp and most all organically farmed crops.





28 comments:

Irwin Kempton said...

Thanks for sharing such useful information. Thanks You I Read Your article its really informative. Keep up the good work. I hope to see more interesting articles from you.
-Pain Relief CBD Stick

Mr Elijah said...

Thank you so much for your post; it has given us a terrific idea.
Emulsified Cream.
+44 20 3319 2539.

Mr Elijah said...


Superb online resource. I just wanted to say that I think this blog is great. The most important aspect of this site is the material, which is written in a straightforward and easy to understand style.

Best Cannabis Trimming Scissors

Jeff Andersen said...

Amazing write-up! The blog was very informative. Keep it up!
Bulk CBD Tincture

Ghenz Hawks said...

I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. I am really thank full for you for this post.CBD Vape Pen

James William said...

Your blog is excellent. I really hope to see more of it. I appreciate you sharing this information.
Best CBD Ointment

Alex Carter said...

wonderful website This is the first time I've seen this blog, and I really like it. The most important aspect is that the information on this blog is presented in a clear and understandable manner.
CBD Extraction Facility

Mr Elijah said...

This is a fantastic article. Your essay is quite simple to comprehend. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us.
THCP Delta 8 .

Trent Alexander said...

Your essay is really easy to grasp. We are grateful to have this useful information available.CBD For Tattoo

Martin Morris said...


You did an excellent job! This knowledge is quite helpful. I find this to be quite appealing. My learning is substantially aided by it.
CBG Distillate For Sale

Martin Morris said...

Fantastic web-based instrument I'm so happy I found your blog; I've found a new favorite resource. The blog's writing is impressive for its use of beautiful language, but its accessibility and plain manner are what really set it apart. Only a few minutes ago did I stumble upon the most incredible blog.
Delta 9 THCP For Sale

Sam David said...

I have to tell you that your hard work was truly appreciated and paid off in spades. Thank you for providing us with this excellent informational tool. That alone, in my opinion, would be enough to make me buy it. The help it has given me with my current studies is incalculable. It proves beyond reasonable question that you give this matter your whole attention.
CBD Vape For Pain

Martin Morris said...

You did a fantastic job. The information you have provided is very beneficial. I really do find this to be interesting. That has been of great use to me as a student. Without a doubt, it shows how passionately you feel about the topic.
cbn blueberry gummies

Martin Morris said...

I can't fathom how fantastic this website is. Despite the fact that it includes some excellent language, the simplicity and clarity of the writing in this blog stand out.
hhc disposable vape

Tom Latham said...

Amazing write-up! The blog was very informative. Keep it up!
CBD Products

Martin Morris said...

This surprises me because it's both interesting and thrilling. I've made significant academic progress as a consequence. You seem to be genuinely interested in this topic.
Voluntate

Sarah Lehmann said...

The writing in this essay is superb. It's not difficult to understand what you're writing. We are appreciative that this information is provided. 5000mg CBD Cream

Sarah Lehmann said...

This is a great piece of writing. Your essay is very straightforward to understand. We appreciate you giving us access to this helpful information. THC-Free CBD Tinctures

Sarah Lehmann said...

This piece is written very well. Your work is pretty easy to follow. We're glad that this helpful information is out there. CBD Morning Tincture

Tom Latham said...

Amazing post, thanks for sharing this article. I am truly motivated by you for blogging.
Thank You!CBD CBG Cream

Json said...

Amazing write-up! The blog was very informative. Keep it up!
CBDA isolate for sale

Json said...

I think it's amazing what you're doing, my friend, and I really appreciate it.
Buy CBGA Isolate

Jessica Davis said...

It is a very interesting blog. I really love it.

Jessica| CBD Tinctures for Pets

Raymond Goodwil said...

I appreciate you bringing up this important subject. You've given me so much encouragement to start a blog.
Raymond Goodwill | THCH distillate wholesale

Meteo said...

Thank you for your insightful viewpoint; the written content is rigorous, which is why I read it carefully.
Mateo | Holistic Massage

James Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Daniel said...

Your discussion on this vital topic is truly valued. Your words have inspired me to embark on the journey of starting a blog.

James Daniel | CBD packaging

Leo Alfie said...

I appreciate your kind words and am grateful for your positive feedback on my post. Your preference for quality content is valued, and I'm thankful for your appreciation of the information shared in the post.

Leo Alfie| Ashwagandha Gummies