Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Organic Hemp Cultivation Pest Plant Alert, Lamium amplexicaule aka Henbit

 Henbit, Lamium amplexicaule, is a purple flowered non-native groundcover with an aggressive growing habit renown for taking away native plants growing space.

Lamium amplexicaule, Henbit and Organic Hemp Cultivation


Once established, henbit is difficult to eradicate.

There are two main species of Lamium in Florida, henbit and purple deadnettle, L. purpureum.  Purple deadnettle differs from henbit visually with purple hued leaved near the plant top, or apex.  Henbit also can be usually recognized by the way it's leaves directly clasp the stem.

Although diminutive, lacy in appearance and a rather pretty groundcover, henbit might be thought of as harmless yet the opposite is true.  It is estimated by many ecological experts that almost half of all native plant species are in population decline due to loss of habitat as a result of competition from non-native species.

Lamium competes with native groundcovers for water, growing space, nutrients and importantly can be a host for hemp or other crop damaging pest insects, including a number of nematode species such as Ditylenchus spp., Heterodera spp., and Meloidogyne spp. along with a number of viruses (including Arabis mosaic virus) and fungal pathogens.

Controlling Lamium spp. in rowcrop cultivation settings can be difficult.  This weedy plant is often thought of as an annual species however it may often behave as a biennial in Florida climates.

I prefer to help establish lyre-leaf sage, Salvia lyrata or turkey tangled frog fruit, Phyla nodiflora along with a host of much better suited native groundcovers that support beneficial predatory insects, beneficial pollinators and positive biological pest management.

Personally, if I see henbit growing in the hemp cultivation areas the plant quickly becomes a candidate for pulling and mechanical eradication/composting.  Better safe than sorry when growing hemp.

30 comments:

Irwin Kempton said...

Thank you so much for sharing your articles with us. Hopefully, you will be able to benefit us with more informative article.
-CBD Stick For Pain

Roben Zeigler said...

You've written a pretty interesting article. I was hunting for this type of one-of-a-kind information. Please share additional relevant information with me so that I may learn more.Best CBD Store

Mr Elijah said...

Thank you so much for your post; it has given us a terrific idea.
Emulsified Cream.
+44 20 3319 2539.

Mr Elijah said...

This is an appealing and well-kept posting that deserves recognition. We appreciate your work, and we ask that you keep us updated.

Best Trimming Scissors For Bud

Jeff Andersen said...

Great share!One of the best blogs I have Ever Seen. Keep going!
CBDV Tincture

Ghenz Hawks said...

This Article is Awesome. It’s help me a lot. Sir,Please keep up your good work. We always with you and Waiting for your new interesting articles.CBD Vape Pens

James William said...

The aforementioned essay was really interesting to read because it thoroughly covers everything. Additionally, the material is highly compelling and useful. Best wishes for the next articles and thanks for your support.
Natural Topical Pain Relief

Alex Carter said...

You did an outstanding job! This essay is really helpful. This appeals to me quite a bit. It is very helpful for my academic endeavors. It clearly shows that you are interested in the subject. I'm hoping you'll provide us with further information about the article. Please keep spreading the word.
Hemp Extraction Company

Trent Alexander said...

Your essay is really easy to grasp. We are grateful to have this useful information available.CBD For Tattoo

Martin Morris said...


You did an excellent job! This knowledge is quite helpful. I find this to be quite appealing. My learning is substantially aided by it.
CBG Distillate For Sale

Martin Morris said...

Sincerity aside, I find this site to be really impressive. This is the first time I've heard of this blog, but I'm really interested in reading future posts. All content must be written with the site's clarity and simplicity in mind.
Delta 8 THCP Distillate

Martin Morris said...

It is important to emphasize this material's attraction and excellent caliber. Please keep me informed because I appreciate the time and work you are investing in this.
h4cbd vape

Tom Latham said...

This is one of the nicest blogs I've ever seen, and it's really pleasant. This is a very valuable blog for me, and one of the most helpful blogs I've ever seen.
T Free CBD Distillate With Minors

Martin Morris said...

That is an incredible internet resource. I just discovered this website and I'm already in love with it. Anyone reading this material should be able to understand it.
Peach H4CBD Gummies

Tom Latham said...

Amazing write-up! The blog was very informative. Keep it up!
CBD Products

Martin Morris said...

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give this information to us. I can immediately use this incredibly useful knowledge in my present academic work.
H4 CBD

Toni Muller said...

You impart knowledge in a unique method from other people. I appreciate you sharing this original article so much. I must thank you so that you can continue to write interesting stuff for us. 5000mg CBD Tincture

Sarah Lehmann said...

The writing in this essay is superb. It's not difficult to understand what you're writing. We are appreciative that this information is provided. 5000mg CBD Cream

Sarah Lehmann said...

This is a great piece of writing. Your essay is very straightforward to understand. We appreciate you giving us access to this helpful information. THC-Free CBD Tinctures

Sarah Lehmann said...

This piece is written very well. Your work is pretty easy to follow. We're glad that this helpful information is out there. CBD Morning Tincture

Json said...

Amazing write-up! The blog was very informative. Keep it up!
CBDA isolate for sale

Json said...

I think it's amazing what you're doing, my friend, and I really appreciate it.
Buy CBGA Isolate

Paul allen said...


I truly lack the words to express my gratitude.
Paul Allen |Bulk Cbg Distillate

Alex Hales said...

I was looking for a unique read, and your article exceeded my expectations.
Alex Hales | Organic CBG gummies

Raymond Goodwil said...

I think it's amazing what you're doing, my friend, and I really appreciate it.
Raymond Goodwill |CBGA Isolate

Alex Hales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raymond Goodwil said...

Thank you for bringing up this fascinating topic. Because of you, I'm extremely motivated to start a blog.
Raymond Goodwill | HHCP for sale

Meteo said...

This is one of the most pleasant blogs I've ever come across. This is a very useful blog for me, and it is one of the most useful blogs I've ever seen.
Mateo | Sports Massage

James Daniel said...

Your unique approach to sharing knowledge sets you apart. I'm grateful for this original article and look forward to more interesting content. Thank you for continuing to enrich us with your insights.

James Daniel| CBD local SEO

Leo Alfie said...

Thanks for liking my post! Your preference for good content means a lot. I'm grateful for your positive feedback.

Leo Alfie| Strawberry gummies